Monday, November 21, 2005

Quest for the Perfect Idea...

So for a couple of years now I have wanted to write a cartoon tv show, but I am stumbling with the idea for the show. I wrote a pilot [I guess you could call it that] of a cartoon for my grade 12 english class final project and got a really good mark on it about a beverly hillbillies style plot where a redneck white trash family comes into some money and moves from a stereotypical southern united states to a stereotypical los angeles, but I never went back to the idea-maybe I should.

Tonight I was trying to think of an idea so I decided to list some of the cartoons I like and why I like them. There are the usuals, south park, simpsons, family guy, an then a couple lesser known/lesser enjoyed ones such as futurama and undergrads. So after making this list of cartoons I enjoy watching I tried to think of reasons why I liked each show, and common themes of great characters, quick wit, and good ideas quickly came about. But these are the basic necessities of any show, so what sets these shows apart from anything else? I think the plausable application to real life, yet completely out-there stories help to make these shows what they are. Still, I think to myself and cannot come up with a good reason why these shows alone can make me happy.

Despite the fact that they are not even real people I fall in love with the characters, fry and bender, peter, brian and stewie, stan, kyle, kenny and cartman, nitz and jesse, and of course homer and bart are just drawings, but I love them, they appeal to me... does this mean I have the i.q. of a piece of paper? Am I an idiot for loving cartoons? Why do cartoons bring me to tears of laughter I feel sad for fry when he doesn't get leela in those emotional episodes of futurama? Hell, I don't even feel emotions for actual people in sitcoms, I don't feel sad for eric when donna dumps him, but I can't take my eyes off the screen when nitz is having trouble with kimmy but doesn't even realize jesse likes him.

How is it that cartoons are that much better than anything else on tv? How can I write a cartoon that people will love as much as I love south park, or family guy? Do I need some sort of weird plot like futurama or is a basic everyday plot like undergrads or family guy okay, and what do I need to do to make people feel for my characters? I guess if I knew the answers to these questions I would have my cartoon and everyone would love it, but as for now I am still on the quest to write something that people will like and can't wait each week until it is on, just as I do for the other cartoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home